THE WORLD’S 50 BEST BARS 2023 WILL BE REVEALED IN SINGAPORE ON 17TH OCTOBER
The most-respected global bars ranking will continue to shine a light on the world’s great cocktail destinations as it heads to Asia for the first time
4 April 2023 – The annual list of The World’s 50 Best Bars, sponsored by Perrier, will be unveiled as part of a live awards ceremony in Singapore at the Pasir Panjang power station, an incredible industrial setting in the city-state’s docks, on Tuesday, 17th October 2023, marking the first time in the awards’ history the ceremony will be held in Asia.
For its 15th annual edition, the drinks industry’s leading ranking will once again hit the road, leaving Europe for the first time to continue its mission to spotlight the world’s great cocktail cities. The global bar community will come together in the Asian city state to recognise the achievements of the past year, celebrate global talent and, ultimately, honour the best bars in the world.
The list of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2023 will be anonymously voted for by a gender balanced Academy of more than 650 bartenders, consultants, writers and cocktail specialists from around the world, with the results independently adjudicated by Deloitte. Details of the voting process can be found at the bottom of this press release.
Mark Sansom, Content Director for The World’s 50 Best Bars, says: “We are thrilled to bring The World’s 50 Best Bars community to Singapore, our first foray outside Europe and an opportunity to celebrate a magnificent year for bars and bartenders in one of the world’s finest cocktail cities. We look forward to honouring the accomplishments of those who breathe life into the bar scene and to inspire cocktail lovers to use our list and discover the greatest bars in the world.”
Highlights for the event programme in Singapore will include the Bartenders’ Feast, which takes place the night before the reveal of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2023. It will be followed by the glamorous awards ceremony itself on 17th October, which will feature red-carpet arrivals and interviews, a drinks reception and of course, the countdown from No.50, down to No.1.
New for 2023 will be a series of five 50 Best Signature Sessions. These live events – which will also be open to the public — will take place in Singapore’s top bars, where local bar afficionados will be able to savour drinks from the world’s best cocktailian talent.
Ahead of the awards ceremony, 50 Best will reveal the winners of two special awards designed to celebrate the exceptional achievements of one bar and one bartender over the past year, as well as those venues ranked in the extended 51-100 list:
- Michter’s Art of Hospitality. This award is voted for by all members of The World’s 50 Best Bars Academy, who are asked to name the bar where they received the single best hospitality experience during the voting period
- Altos Bartenders’ Bartender. This award is voted for by the bartenders behind those bars on this year’s list, who are asked to name one peer who has done more to further the craft of bartending than any other across the course of the 18-month voting period
- 51-100 list. 50 Best will reveal those bars ranked between 51st and 100th on its website and social media channels
Guo Teyi, Director, Retail & Dining, Singapore Tourism Board, says: “We are honoured that Singapore is the first host city outside Europe for The World’s 50 Best Bars. This affirms Singapore’s position as a world-class F&B destination. We hope the event will also open doors for our local talents, give them global exposure on a renowned platform and facilitate knowledge exchange within the global bar community.”
The countdown of the list of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2023, sponsored by Perrier, will also be broadcast live to a global audience who are not able to attend in person. Bars and cocktail lovers are invited to join through The World’s 50 Best Bars Facebook page and 50 Best Bars TV channel on YouTube.
Follow 50 Best
- Follow on Instagram: @50BestBars #Worlds50BestBars
- Follow on Twitter: @50BestBars
- Like on Facebook: facebook.com/50BestBars
- Subscribe to the YouTube channel: 50 Best Bars TV
- Visit the website: worlds50bestbars.com
About The World’s 50 Best Bars
The World’s 50 Best Bars, owned and organised by William Reed, provides a definitive list of the world’s best drinking venues, voted for by an Academy of over 650 experts worldwide. The World’s 50 Best Bars list has been published annually since 2009 and has become the most-anticipated ranking for drinks professionals and cocktail aficionados across the world, with the awards the highlight of the bar industry calendar. The list of Asia’s 50 Best Bars has been published since 2016 and North America’s 50 Best Bars launched in 2022. The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list, also organised by William Reed, has been published since 2002. In September 2023, the brand will launch The World’s 50 Best Hotels.
How the voting works
The list is compiled by votes from The World’s 50 Best Bars Academy, which comprises more than 650 drinks experts with gender balance, including renowned bartenders and consultants, drinks writers and cocktail specialists from around the world. The Academy of voters is spread across 28 global geographic regions, each headed by an Academy Chair who selects their region’s voters, with the distribution of voters designed to reflect the relative development and sophistication of the drinks sector, and the concentration of quality bars, in each region. Each voter casts seven votes based on their best bar experiences of the previous 18 months, although if they have been unable to travel, they are asked to provide five votes from their home country or SAR. Voters are required to remain anonymous and voting is confidential, secure and independently adjudicated by Deloitte.
About the host destination partner: Singapore Tourism Board
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) is the lead development agency for tourism, one of Singapore’s key economic sectors. Together with industry partners and the community, we shape a dynamic Singapore tourism landscape. We bring the Passion Made Possible brand to life by differentiating Singapore as a vibrant destination that inspires people to share and deepen their passions.
For more information, please visit www.stb.gov.sg and www.visitsingapore.com.
For STB social media, please visit facebook.com/STBsingapore and linkedin.com/company/singapore-tourism-board
About the main sponsor: Perrier
For more than a century, Perrier® has collaborated with some of the world’s most influential major artists, including Andy Warhol, Salvador Dalí, Bernard Villemot, and Jean-Gabriel Domergue, each of whom in their own way have demonstrated a certain artistic irreverence. With a history that began in 1863 in Vergèze, in the
Gard region of France, the Perrier® brand is now recognized worldwide thanks to its iconic green bottle. Appreciated in more than 140 countries, the brand is acclaimed for its natural mineral water combined with the power of its bubbles.
- Singapore Tourist Board – Official Host Partner
- Perrier – Official Water Partner; sponsor of The World’s Best Bar
- Michter’s – Official American Whiskey Partner; sponsor of Michter’s Art of Hospitality
- Nikka Whisky – Official Whisky of the World Partner; sponsor of Nikka Highest Climber
- Ketel One Vodka – Official Vodka Partner; sponsor of Ketel One Sustainable Bar
- Mezcal Los Siete Misterios – Official Mezcal Partner; sponsor of Siete Misterios Best Cocktail Menu
- The London Essence Co. – Official Mixer Partner; sponsor of London Essence Best New Opening
- Disaronno – Official Italian Liqueur Partner; sponsor Disaronno Highest New Entry
- Altos Tequila – Official Tequila Partner; sponsor of Altos Bartenders’ Bartender
- Roku Gin – Official Gin Partner; sponsor of Roku Industry Icon
- Matusalem – Official Rum Partner; sponsor of ceremonial scarves
- Naked Malt – Official Scotch Whisky Partner; sponsor of a Best in Destination Award
- Tia Maria – Official Coffee Liqueur Partner; sponsor of a Best in Destination Award
- Rémy Martin – Official Cognac Partner; sponsor of Rémy Martin Legend of the List
- Campari – Official Bitters Partner; sponsor of Campari One To Watch
- The Blend – Official Education Partner
- Torres Brandy – Official Brandy Partner; sponsor of a Best in Destination Award
- Bareksten – Official Aquavit Partner
- Mancino Vermouth – Official Vermouth Partner
- Amaro Lucano – Official Amaro Partner
- American Express – Official Credit Card Partner
- Scrappy’s Bitters – Official Cocktail Bitters Partner