SMALL BUSINESS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
What is the Sydney Light Rail Small Business Assistance Program?
The Small Business Assistance Program assists small businesses on the light rail alignment who believe they have been impacted where construction is taking longer than initially advised. Businesses that have not yet applied but wish to do so need to lodge an application by 1 October 2019.
Since the beginning of the Small Business Assistance Program in August 2017, the program has supported 163 businesses by providing more than $34 million in financial assistance.
Tram testing is ramping up along the 12km corridor, and major civil construction for the Sydney Light Rail project is almost complete with finishing works progressing along the alignment.
As such the Small Business Assistance Program will incrementally scale down from July. Any new applications will need to be received by 1 October 2019.
How do I apply?
To apply for assistance, businesses will need to meet the following criteria:
- Small businesses employing fewer than 50 full-time equivalent employees;
- The place of business is situated along the alignment or in close proximity to and impacted by construction activity;
- The place of business is located in a zone where construction is taking longer than initially advised.
To be eligible for assistance, businesses must meet all criteria and demonstrate a financial downturn.
Owners of small businesses who occupy their own premises (owner-occupiers), as well as businesses that are tenants,are encouraged to apply.
Any new applications from businesses that have not been part of the program before will need to be submitted by 1 October 2019.
In order to be assessed, businesses that meet the above criteria need to provide:
- Signed financial statements prior to the beginning of Light Rail construction, and for the period since construction began; and
- Any additional information requested by Transport for NSW that shows how the Light Rail construction has impacted the business.
How long will it take?
Applications are assessed as quickly as possible, once all financial statements and any additional information required has been provided to Transport for NSW. On average, applications are determined within less than four weeks after all information has been received.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please email SLRBizassistance@transport.nsw.gov.au if you have any questions
For more information see the Small Business Assistance Program Fact Sheet