PREMIER WANTS ENHANCED ACCOUNTABILITY FOR POLITICAL PROMISES
A re-elected Liberal and Nationals Government will implement important new measures to increase government transparency and accountability on the delivery of election commitments.
The new measures include:
- Establishing a new website to provide the public with information on the status and delivery of state-wide and seat specific election commitments, to be updated twice a year;
- Producing an annual report on the progress of election commitments, which will be tabled in Parliament; and
- Tasking the Premier’s Implementation Unit in the Department of Premier and Cabinet with driving the delivery of commitments across government as its core focus.
Premier Dominic Perrottet said it’s critical that voters have confidence in governments delivering on their commitments.
“Good governments have a strong vision for the future, but voters rightly expect them to deliver on their plans and commitments and be transparent about any hurdles that arise,” Mr Perrottet said.
“This will raise the bar across the country when it comes to government transparency and accountability.
“We have a strong track record of delivering on our commitments, but this will set a new standard by allowing people to more easily track the projects, policies and commitments that matter to them and their communities.
“Trust in our democracy relies on the community having the confidence that what they vote for will actually be delivered.”
These measures complement a significant program of reform already undertaken by the NSW Liberal and Nationals Government to improve integrity and build community trust in government and the public service, including:
- Legislating compliance with the grant guidelines;
- Amendments to the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988 clarifying that the NSW Ministerial Code of Conduct is a prescribed code of conduct in respect of Parliamentary Secretaries;
- Amending the Government Sector Employment Act 2013 to uphold an independent and apolitical public service.