NEW VISION FOR ROYAL NORTH SHORE HOSPITAL
The NSW Government today announced plans to transform a portion of Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH), known as the Herbert Street Precinct, into a thriving community with additional health-related services, public open space, key worker housing and a new educational facility.
Minister for Water, Property and Housing, Melinda Pavey, said the Government’s vision for the Herbert Street Precinct will improve social, health and economic outcomes.
“This is a unique opportunity to improve health services, provide more open space and deliver up to 500 apartments within the site focusing on accommodation for key health – related workers, allowing hard working hospital staff and essential services workers to live close to their work,” Mrs Pavey said.
Member for North Shore, Felicity Wilson said the proposed redevelopment supports the growth of Royal North Shore Hospital as one of the State’s most important health, research and training facilities.
“The development of the Herbert Street Precinct provides the opportunity to improve facilities for key workers, clinicians, patients and allied health services,” Ms Wilson said.
Key features of the transformation include:
- Affordable key worker accommodation (to support the Northern Sydney Local Health District) and ‘build to rent’ apartments
- New commercial office space to support the broader health and education precinct (including office space, retail and short stay accommodation)
- A new educational facility
- 6,000m2 additional public domain and open space
- Adaptive re-use of heritage buildings
- Improved connectivity and pedestrian access to public transport; and
- Additional car parking for commercial, retail and residential uses.The Government will shortly undertake a detailed consultation program with the RNSH community, government agencies, Willoughby Council, local businesses and the general public. Details of the consultation activities and events will be made available shortly.
A planning submission for the rezoning of the Herbert Street Precinct and redevelopment proposal will follow this preliminary consultation period.
There will be no immediate change to the RNSH Campus and no disruption to clinicians, patients, staff or visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To view the Herbert Street Precinct transformation fly-through and images, visit: www.herbertstreetprecinct.com.au,