Essential Christmas Recipes” from ALDI including Roast Pork!
These Recipes have been shared with the readers of the SYDNEY TIMES from the ALDI site www.aldi.com.au
(Recipes were developed by the ALDI Test Kitchen and the Ingredients are available in Aldi Stores!)
Smoked Salmon Tartines with Caper & Red Onion Chutney
For the CHUTNEY:
Stir the onion, capers, lemon juice, dill and mustard seeds together in a small bowl.
Lightly season with salt.
For the TARTINES:
Blend the sour cream, cream cheese and chives together in another small bowl.
Lightly season with salt.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over the toasted baguette.
Place 1 slice of salmon on each baguette, and top with a spoonful of the chutney.
Move the tartines to a platter, finished with a sprinkling of finely grated lemon peel over each and serve.
2/3 cup finely diced red onion
1/3 cup drained baby capers
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsn chopped fresh dill
1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
250g Westacre Manhattan Spreadable Cream Cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup Farmdale Sour Cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
24 thin slices from a rustic baguette, toasted
400g Almare Smoked Salmon, thinly sliced
*Recipe courtesy of Jeanette, ALDI Test Kitchen
Tiger Prawn and Potato Salad
- Peel potatoes and dice into 2cm squares. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon rind and wholegrain mustard. Peel and de-vein prawns leaving the tail intact (reserve some prawns to place on the finished dish). Stir in cooled potatoes, prawns, spring onion and capsicum through the sour cream mixture.
- Place a small handful of rocket on individual serving plates and spoon on a serving of the potato and prawn salad. Add the reserved prawns on top. Sprinkle lightly with dill and serve.
1kg ALDI Almare Australian Cooked Tiger Prawns
10 medium sized potatoes
1 tablespoon Colway Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Farmdale Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Colway Wholegrain Mustard
1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
3 spring onions, sliced
1 red capsicum, deseeded and diced finely
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1⁄2 tablespoon dried dill
1 bag of fresh rocket
ROAST PORK & APPLES
RECIPE FROM ALDI
- Preheat oven to 230°C (or 210°C for fan-forced oven)
- Remove pork from fridge 30 mins prior to cooking. Remove packaging and pat dry with paper towel
- Peel and cut onions in wedges, peel and squash cloves of garlic.
- Place pork on an oven rack in a baking dish. Put onions, rosemary and garlic under the pork. Rub garlic into the pork rind, drizzle with olive oil and rub generously with salt.
- Place in hot oven for 30-40 mins until skin in well crackled.
- Reduce temperature to 165°C (or 145°C for fan-forced) , cook until internal core temperature reaches 75°C or until juices run clear when skewered in centre.
- Cut apples in half. Combine apple cider vinegar with cinnamon. Toss apples in the mixture. 30 minutes before estimated finished cooking time, add the apples to the baking rack cut side down, for 15 minutes then turn and baste them with the pork juices.
- When the pork has reached temperature and apples are soft, remove from the oven and allow to rest before carving.
- 1 Boneless leg of pork (approximately 2.5 kg)
- Remano Olive oil
- Table salt
- 1 pkt fresh rosemary
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 red apples
- 100ml Just Organic apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
*NOTE: Total cooking time is 35 mins per kg
Duck, Cherry Pecan Salad
- Pre heat oven to 200°C (180°C for fan forced oven).
- Pat dry the duck breast, season with sea salt on each side .
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil while the pan is slowly heating up, place the duck breast skin side down to render the fat off slowly to get the duck skin crispy, cook the skin side down for 3-4 mins once the skin is crispy turn over to seal the duck flesh.
- During the cooking process the duck fat will release into the frying pan, set aside the pan with the duck fat.
- Place the duck onto cooking tray, cook for 8-10 minutes in the oven.
- While duck breast is cooking pick the cherry stems and discard, halve the cherries and remove seeds, place the pan back on low heat, lightly sauté the cherries and onion for 2 mins until soft. Remove from heat and set aside. Mix all the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl to combine .Once duck is done set aside and rest.
- Lower the oven temperature to 160°C (or 140°C fan forced) degree’s. Cook the pecans in the oven for 4 mins allow to cool.
Cut cherry tomatoes in half and thinly slice Mango , pick mint leaves. Arrange the salad by layering cherry’s , onion , tomato , mint , baby spinach , salad mix , chopped and whole pecans. Turn the mango sliver into a circle to place over salad. Slice the duck and arrange on top and drizzle the dressing over duck and salad.Ingredients
- 2 medium duck breast
- tsp Just Organic coconut oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 15 cherries
- 40g red onion finely sliced
- 10 small tomato medley tomatoes, halved
- 1 mango cheek sliced thinly
- 60g The Fresh Salado Co Salad mix
- 60g The Fresh Salad Co baby spinach
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 60g pecans (chop half and leave the rest whole)
- 2 tablespoon Casa Barelli balsami vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Remano olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Bramwells honey
- Salt and pepper
Macadamia Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with a Crunchy Salad
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a food processor, combine macadamia nuts, oil, seasoning, breadcrumbs, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, lemon zest, garlic, oregano, mint leaves and parsley. Pulse until finely chopped and fold in the egg white
- Meanwhile, cook the lamb fat side down in a pan until the surface is golden brown. Remove, rub 1 tsp of Dijon mustard onto the cooked surface
- Press and lightly pack the macadamia mixture onto meat
- Place the rack on a baking paper-lined tray and cook for 20-25 mins. Remove from the oven and rest for 8 mins before slicing and serving
- Meanwhile, cut the baby cos and pear into slices and toss with cranberries, blue cheese and mint leaves
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the sala
Mango, Passionfruit, Blueberry Layered Pavlova
- Place the cream and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Peel and slice mangoes and set aside.
- Scoop out passionfruit and set aside.
- Wash and dry blueberries.
- Cut pavlova in half (across the middle) and place half on a serving plate, top with half of the whipped cream and half of the fruit.
- Gently place the other pavlova half layer on top, cover with remaining whipped cream and fruit.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
- Serve immediately.
- 1x The Cake Stall Pavlova base
- 2 x 600ml packs of Farmdale thickened cream
- 1 tsp. Stonemill vanilla extract
- 4 fresh Mangoes
- 2 punnets fresh blueberries
- 5 Passionfruits
- Mint sprigs for garnish
Above Recipes: Courtesy of Virginia at the ALDI Test Kitchen